Sue Fulton, a Democrat candidate for Monmouth County Freeholder, said she would reduce property taxes by 5% last week at a candidates forum at the Four Seasons 55+ community clubhouse in Manalapan.
Fulton did not say what programs she would cut, or what fiscal gimmicks she would employ, to come up with the $15.275 million. In a television commercial that started airing today on cable, Fulton said,”Cutting taxes won’t be easy. But I learned a long time ago, the the tougher the job, the harder you work.”
Fulton and her running mate, Belmar Mayor Matt Doherty, who we already know is sketchy, criticized their opponents, Freeholder Director Tom and Arnone and Deputy Freeholder Director Serena DiMaso, for the $4.5 million dollar property tax cut they made this year. Read the rest of this entry »
Deputy Freeolder Director Serena DiMaso was challenged by her Democrat opponent, Sue Fulton, to declare her differences with the Republican National Platform at a candidates forum on Thursday night at the Four Seasons 55+ community in Manalapan.
Both DiMaso and Fulton were both aware that Democrat operatives were seated in the audience recording the exchange for use in the barrage of TV commercials that will attack DiMaso starting next week and extending through election day.
Rather than get into a same sex marriage or abortion debate by answering the GOP platform question, DiMaso deftly pivoted and addressed the presidential candidates.
Mayor Musich Expects To Take Legal Action To Stop The Pig Farming
It took about three weeks longer than the property owner expected, but there is a pig farm at the corner of Millhurst Road and Route 33 in the Township of Manalapan.
This column is for my Republican friends in the Assembly, especially those from Monmouth County.
Dave Rible, Rob Clifton, Sean Kean, Monmouth Republican Assembly Members who voted for gas tax in June, and Declan O’Scanlon who didn’t vote, should join Amy Handlin and Ronald Dancer, Republicans who represent parts of Monmouth and voted NO in June, in voting NO on Wednesday or whenever the bill that Governor Christie, Senate President Sweeney and Assembly Speaker Vincent Prieto agreed to on Friday comes up for a vote.
The Asbury Park Press is peddling a story about Eatontown Mayor Dennis Connelly’s recent employment as the manager of the Motor Vehicle Commission office in Freehold. But other than a gadfly’s complaint about the position being a patronage job, The Asbury Park Press did not back up their sensational headline, Concern raised over Eatontown mayor’s new job, with any concerns.
What is the concern? It is a patronage job. If a Democrat is elected governor next year, Connelly, a Republican, will be out of the job. A Democrat will be appointed to that job. Will The Asbury Park Press be concerned then?
Connelly did not try to hide that he had taken a job with MVC. He announced it on facebook.
Last year, Freehold Borough Councilman Kevin Kane was a Democratic candidate for County Clerk. He got trounced by Clerk Christine Hanlon, the incumbent Republican. Four months later Kane landed a $65,000 per year job for Jersey City Mayor Steve Fulop. Kane is boosting his pension credits from being a part time councilman with his new job. The Asbury Press did not express any concern about Kane’s new job. The Jersey Jounal/NJ.com was concerned.
By a margin of 829-292, Belmar voters repudiated the hubris of Mayor “Lawless Matt” Doherty on Tuesday.
In a special election to decide the validity of the pay to play/ethics law that the borough council approved shortly after Doherty became a candidate for Monmouth County Freeholder last Spring voters said NO to the mayor’s attempt to change the rules for his own ambitions. Doherty, a Democrat, had claimed that the new law had nothing to do with his candidacy for Freeholder. Rather, it was designed to make it easier for Belmar Republicans to raise money.
The law, which had it been approved by the voters, would have allowed Doherty to conceal contributions to his campaign for Freeholder in the amount of $300 or less and to accept donations from liquor license holders, developers and other vendors and professionals with business before the Borough and still take official action on that business. The existing pay to play/ethics ordinance in the borough prohibits those activities.
Freeholder Director Tom Arnone today announced his opposition to the public question that would amend the New Jersey Constitution to allow casino gambling in Northern New Jersey.
“My first responsibility as a Freeholder is to make sure Monmouth County’s interests are my top priority,” Arnone said in an announcement released by ‘Trenton’s Bad Bet,’ the group that has been campaigning against the constitutional amendment, “Unfortunately, the ballot question on casino expansion is misguided, shortchanges our horse racing industry, and favors a small group of out-of-state, special interests.”
“In no way does this legislation help Monmouth County,” Arnone concluded.
Brent Sonnek-Schmelz, the Republican candidate for congress in New Jersey’s 6th Congressional District (parts of Monmouth and Middlesex Counties) publicly challenged Congressman Frank Pallone to two debates today after not hearing back from the 28 year incumbent after extending a private invitation.
“Congressman Pallone should live up to his own words and debate me. The people of the Sixth District deserve to hear him defend his failed policies and tell us why after 28 years in Congress, the loss of Fort Monmouth and the government corruption following Sandy, he deserves reelection,” said Sonnek-Schmelz. “Pallone was chomping at the bit for debates when it would have benefited him politically during his failed U.S. Senate campaign. Failure by Mr. Pallone to agree to these debates would reveal him to not only be a hypocrite, but a brazen one at that. I am hoping he exceeds my expectations and agrees to stand on a stage with me and contrast our competing visions for the country and our district face-to-face.”
Scott Eagelton, co-owner of Bayshore Pharmacy, administers a flu shot to his partner, Richard Stryker. photo via facebook
Are you ready for flu season?
Bayshore Pharmacy, Card and Gift Shop is hosting a flu shot clinic at the Atlantic Highlands Borough Hall, 100 First Ave, on Tuesday, September 27 from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m There is no charge for Medicare patients. Most insurances will pay for the shot. Residents not covered for the shot by insurance will be charged $25.00
Richard Stryker, Co-owner of the pharmacy said that the same deal is available at his store, located at 2 Bayshore Plaza (the same location as Foodtown) on Route 36 in Atlantic Highlands for resident who can not attend the clinic at Borough Hall on Tuesday. “No appointments. No excuses,” Stryker said.